Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Thing 13: Professional Organisations

Although I had already heard of CILIP (Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals)and SLS (School Library Service) it was really interesting to discover important groups like IFLA (International Federation of Library Associations and Institutes) and see what they had to offer. I created an on-line account with IFLA so that I could receive their newsletter and access some of their talks. Before this course I had pondered joining CILIP and SLS. The access to training opportunities/CPD and special interests groups are particularly appealing, as well as the feeling that I would be more in the loop with developments within libraries. The cost has put me off, as I would have to fund membership myself, but I am slowly coming round to the idea. Sometimes working in Public Libraries feels like being the poor relation to other professionals but I do love the variety of my job and feel acutely the need for access to local libraries for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment